Search

You are here: HomeScrapbook / PhotosScrapbook / PhotosMiscellaneousBrief History of Troop 505

Boy Scout Troop 505, chartered to St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church, is part of the Golden Arrow District of the Sam Houston Area Council -- one of the largest Scout councils in the nation. We're told that the number "505" was chosen because it most closely resembled the letters "SOS" (in keeping with the Scout Motto, "Be Prepared")!

While St. Vincent has sponsored a Boy Scout troop since the mid 1940's (by 1949 the men of the parish had built the original Boy Scout House using donated materials), interest in leadership waned in the early 1980's and the troop charter lapsed. In 1986 interest in Scouting increased and the troop was rechartered. Since then it has grown from 7 Scouts to its present membership of over 40 Scouts.

We are very proud of the fact that of the first 7 Scouts registered in 1986, five have attained the highest rank in Scouting, that of Eagle Scout. Since its first charter in the 1940's, the troop has produced nearly 80 Eagle Scouts.

The gold star in the lower left hand corner of our troop flag is in honor of Gary S. Calnan, the first Troop 505 Scout who died in the service of this country. Gary earned his Eagle Scout award in 1959.

Last Updated on Thursday, 18 March 2010 02:55

Login Form



Statistics

Articles View Hits
161544

BSA Web Sites

[ This month's Boys' Life ]

Free business joomla templates